Walking on Air

Okay, I just need to make a fairly innocuous post and clear my head so I can get back on this. Like I said in the previous post, there's a lot I haven't been able to make decisions about, due to lack of a locked down date. But I did decide one thing. I have shoes now.

Specifically, I found another cost-cutting measure by searching shoes on the secondhand clothing shop thredUP.

I started looking a while back and set up a search to email me whenever stuff matched the criteria I was going for. For a while, I absolutely thought these were going to be my shoes:

JustFab Gabby in Turquois
They were priced at just $12 and beautiful. I was nervous to move ahead with the purchase, so I stalled. And inevitably someone else bought them. All the other pairs I could find on eBay and the like were size tens. I wear a six. It wasn't going to happen. I couldn't fathom why all of them were tens. I even posted on the Weddingbee Boards to find another pair. No dice.

So I resigned myself to choosing something else. I knew I didn't want white. First, they get dirty easily. Second, I really like the idea of a pop of color peeking out under my dress. I kept my eyes open on thredUP and told myself not to worry so much so early. Then I found these:

Nina Parley
$20 dollars and they were still in the same color family as my lost Gabbys. I wasn't sure if I wanted to go open-toe (I rarely do, ever), but my previous loss made me more impatient and impulsive than expected. Plus, at the time we were fairly sure our ceremony would be outside, so wedges are certainly better if I have to walk across dirt. I bought them quickly. They're an even prettier color than in this picture. I really do love jewel tones in all their forms. But I would have the same problem with these I did with the Gabbys, that they aren't the optimal choice for dancing. I plan to do a lot of dancing.

I briefly considered trading for flats at the reception, but Bridesmaid K suggested that might cause my dress to drag on the floor all night, since they're hemmed to shoes.

Don't get me wrong, I will be having emergency flats. Just not as my primary substitute. I realized I had other shoes that might do the trick:

Modcloth Dance Instead of Walking Heel
I wore these to a wedding I attended about a year ago and I kept them on for almost the entire day. (I also have them in tan, shhhh!) The toes on mine are a touch scuffed, but that might not bother me. Our colors are planned for blue and purple, so I thought this could be a perfect compromise.

I have no intention of signing us up for dance lessons. We do well enough and really, couples shouldn't feel pressured to put on some kind of show for their guests. The whole party covers that!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Illinois Bridal and Wedding Expo

Houston, We Have Dress!